An Aerogram or Air Letter, also called an aérogramme, is a thin lightweight piece of foldable and gummed paper for writing a letter for transit via airmail, in which the letter and envelope are one and the same. Most postal administrations forbid enclosures in these light letters, which are usually sent abroad at a preferential rate. The majority of aerograms have an imprinted stamp, however, some countries, such as New Zealand, Rhodesia and Ireland, sell unstamped aerograms. The unstamped aerograms are referred to as “formular aerograms”. They can be issued by either postal authorities or by private companies. Senders are required to write their name and address on the reverse.
Lettercard, Lettersheet, V-mail
- American Air Mail Society The American Air Mail Catalogue of Air Letter Sheets (Aerogrammes), 1955.
- Bridges, Eddie The Aerogrammes of the Union of South Africa. South African Colletors Society, 2005.
- Godinas, Francois World’s Air Mail Catalogue of Aerograms and Air Post Stationery, 1964.
- Greiner, G. & Greiner, H. Aerogramme von Europa, 3rd Edition, 1993.
- Hodson, M. Hodson’s Air Mail Stationery Catalogue: Part 1 British Commonwealth, 1954.
- Jones, T. E. The Aerogrammes of the Arabian Gulf, Postal Agencies Issues, 1995.
- Jones, T. E. The Aerogrammes of the Arabian Gulf, Post Independence Issues, 1994 (Abu Dhabi, Bahrain, Dubai, Kuwait, Muscat & Oman, Sharjah, United Arab Emirates).
- Kessler, F. W. Kessler’s Catalogue of Aerograms. Volumes I and II, 1961; Volume 3, 1969.
- Lang, D. & Saunders, R. A Guide to the postal stationery of India; Volume 4. AEROGRAMMES & Inland Letter Cards, 1984.
- Lindberg, U. Nordens Aerogram: Aerogram i Sverige, Danmark, Finland, Island och Norge (Nordic: Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Iceland and Norway), 1983.
- Muller, K. & Wiegand, W. Katalog der Aerogramme von Afrika, EAPC, Stuttgart, Germany, 1995. Aerophil
- Mullins, T. M. The Active Service Letter Cards, Air Mail Letter Cards and Air Letters of South Africa (19391945), 1999. Aerophil
- Philatelic Writers Club Postal letter Sheets of The Republic of China (19482001), ChangLong Lin, 2002.
- Roggenkamper, H. A., Russ, P. & Wiegand, W. Katalog der Aerogramme von Australien Und Ozeanien, 2003. Aerophil
- Russ, P. Katalog der Israel Aerogramme, EAPC, Stuttgart, Germany, 1988. Aerophil
- Wiegand, W. Katalog der Aerogramme von Asien, EAPC, Stuttgart, Germany, 2000. Aerophil
- Wiegand, W. Katalog der Aerogramme von Canada USA UNONew York, EAPC, Stuttgart, Germany, 1994. Aerophil
- Wiegand, W. Katalog der Aerogramme von Mittel und Sudamerika, EAPC, Stuttgart, Germany, 2002. Aerophil
- Letter Post Manual (Universal Postal Union, Berne, 1985)
- Royal Engineers Museum Army Postal Services
- Aerogramme Society
- American Air Mail Society
the attachments to this post: